My heart sank last night as I was leaning over the shoulder of a Second Amendment Foundation employee staring at the computer screen. It was 8:12 and the preliminary results of I-591 and I-594 were finally showing up. I expected 594 to pass so I was not surprised. I was surprised however at how much it passed by. At first the 591 results were in our favor. About 5 minutes later the numbers turned drastically. We were down 45%. It stayed that way the entire evening. As of this morning the final results for 591 are not in. It is too close to call. As of last night there were still about 300,000 votes to count and 10% of those were from King County. Which means the other 90% are from outside counties which usually vote for gun rights. But are those counties on the edge of King or other side of the state? We will see. Well, now what?
If 591 fails we are in big trouble. Of course there are statements that SAF will take 594 to court. They have a very successful track record of overturning laws in many states. But Bloomberg’s Wa Alliance For Gun Responsibility has bottomless funding and is already anticipating a fight. I am more concerned about how many gun owners voted for 594. Did we not just see that the horrible tragedy in Marysville would not have been prevented even with this law? Gabby Gifford’s attacker bought his gun legally. The Sandy Hook guns were stolen. Almost every single one of the “mass shootings” suspects bought guns passing background checks or stole the guns. This law would not have prevented any single one of those. Now for those of us law abiding gun owners in Washington it is we that are screwed here. There are so many “unintended consequences” in this bill it makes the Health Care bill seem manageable. It is so narrow that LE and Military are barley exempt. It is so narrow that even in the gun store the employee can’t hand me a gun to look at. Forget about my livelihood and my hobbies.
The rifles the we as coaches loan out to the new junior shooters and new competitors will have to be returned. We will have to shut down the program. No more coaching. The parents and their kids who wanted to get involved in a shooting sport and can’t afford the gear yet are hosed. Sorry to all of my friends that wanted me to teach them safe gun handling and go recreational shooting. We will be criminals now. Sorry to any over 18 year old family member or friend that wants to go hunting with me and needs to borrow a gun. We will be criminals now. Sorry family members that I was planning on giving you a gift for self-defense or sport. We will be criminals now. Welcome to registration of your firearms. How else will they keep track of this stuff. Did you know that BC spent over $2 billion dollars over several years to implement this exact same law and they finally stopped it because it did not work and cost too much? It will not work! How many ways can I say that this is the most stupid and damaging and unenforceable law in the history of gun laws. There is a reason they are calling this the strictest gun law in the country. Because of the 18 pages of BS that only hurt citizens and not help with safety.
I can only pray our state supreme court has a brain left in them to see that this law is crap. Can you tell I am upset this morning? Sorry, this is my space to rant and vent. And I am not done. The fight begins.